The LIFE IP INTEMARES project aims to achieve a network of efficiently managed marine Natura 2000 areas, with the active participation of the sectors involved and research as the basic tools for decision-making.
- Improve the knowledge necessary for the management of the marine areas of the Natura 2000 network.
- Ensure a favourable conservation status for the different habitats and species of community interest.
- Complete the Natura 2000 network in the marine environment and ensure effective management of the areas included.
Monitoring and surveillance:
- Improve surveillance and monitoring of marine areas, as well as the conservation status of habitats and species of community interest.
Participation and training:
- Provide training and education to managers and users of the sea in order to achieve the conservation objectives established for the Natura 2000 areas.
- Promote information, awareness and cooperation between agents involved in conservation.
- Promote innovative approaches to the marine Natura 2000 network and the opportunities that these areas can offer, to become reference points for a new production model in the framework of a blue economy.
- Involve socioeconomic sectors and users of the sea in the management of areas.
- Promote governance mechanisms for these areas.
- Demonstrate the effects of an integrated management system and disseminate this information so that it can be applied to other regions of the EU.
Communication, public awareness and environmental education:
- Reach 15% of the Spanish population.
- Achieve a better understanding of the marine environment and the Natura 2000 network.
- Increase public awareness regarding the importance of the conservation of the marine Natura 2000 network.
- Involve society in the management of marine areas and increase social participation levels.